Everyone always asks me for my crispy home fries recipe. It’s my go-to breakfast potato dish to pair with eggs, but easily makes a great side for a sandwich or burger. They’re so easy to make and I just love how the potatoes end up so crispy!
This recipe is more about the technique than the recipe. The trick is to par-cook the potatoes and then roughly toss them so their surface is a little mashed up. It’s the fluffy, roughed up surfaces that brown and turn super crispy while roasting.
Tips for Crispy Home Fries:
- You can substitute baking potatoes for yellow fleshed potatoes.
- Make sure you set a timer for 10 minutes when you add the potatoes to the boiling water, it’s important not to overcook them. If you do, you’ll end up with mashed potatoes.
- If you don’t have parchment paper, oil your baking sheet well before adding the potatoes so that they don’t stick.
- These potatoes taste perfect as-is, but you can also get creative. Try adding a little rosemary or thyme as they bake. I also love adding a sprinkle of curry powder with the salt.
- By placing the oven rack on the bottom, it helps the potatoes to brown.