Shrimp cocktail is an easy appetizer that’s perfect to serve when you have last-minute guests. But let’s be honest, even though Shrimp is the star, the best part of a shrimp cocktail appetizer is the cocktail sauce. Without the sauce, all you’re left with is flavourless shrimp.
This recipe for Grilled Shrimp with Cocktail Sauce takes shrimp cocktail to the next level. The shrimp is flavoured with lemon, grilled until lightly charred, seasoned generously with salt and pepper, and then served with homemade cocktail sauce.
Yes, the cocktail sauce could be bought from the store, but after you make it once, you’ll never want to buy it again. It’s so easy and it’s made using ingredients you probably have in your fridge. My favourite part about this easy grilled shrimp recipe is the lemon, pepper, and salt left on your fingers when you’re done – finger-licking deliciousness!
Grilled Shrimp with Cocktail Sauce Tips:
- When it comes to the shrimp, what does a “16/20 count” mean? It means there are 16 to 20 shrimps per pound.
- Thaw frozen shrimp in a bowl in the fridge overnight. If you’re in a hurry, place shrimp in a colander under cold running water until thawed.
- Shrimp cooks VERY quickly. Keep a watchful eye on the shrimp and be sure to have everything you need when you go to the grill – a clean plate and tongs for flipping.
- You want to put the shrimp on the BBQ fast, turn them fast, and take them off fast.
- Shrimp is cooked when it goes from translucent to opaque and pink. Take the shrimp off the heat a few seconds before you think they are done so they don’t over cook. As they’re taken off the grill and are resting, they’ll continue to cook.
- To save time, use store-bought cocktail sauce.
- If you want to use smaller shrimp, cook them on a skewer or on a grill pan. If you don’t, you could lose a few shrimp through the grill of the BBQ.