To me, a salad is the perfect meal to satisfy the senses. Well-made salads look pretty, taste delicious, have a satisfying crunch, and their fragrance is inviting. That’s why I love this Thai Peanut Chicken Salad – it has tons of colour, crunch, and fragrance.
Making Thai peanut salad dressing is simple and it’s made using ingredients you probably have in your pantry. If you have 1 tablespoon of natural peanut butter left in the jar, use it up by making this peanut salad dressing. Peanut butter thickens the dressing and makes it more filing than you’d expect. It’s a nice change from a typical dressing made with oil and vinegar.
To save on cleanup, make the Thai Peanut Chicken Salad dressing in the bottom of the salad bowl, layer in the salad ingredients, and toss gently.
Thai Peanut Chicken Salad Tips:
- To check if chicken is cooked, use a thermometer. If you don’t have one, slice into the thickest part, it should look juicy and opaque. If the centre looks pink and translucent, it needs to cook a few minutes longer. Remember, when you take the chicken breasts off the heat, they will continue to cook because a lot of heat is still trapped in them. Take the chicken breasts off the heat and out of the pan when they’re just cooked. As they rest, they’ll come to a perfect doneness. Remember – juicy, not dry, is what you’re after.
- This is a great salad to help clean out the crisper. Try adding whatever veggies you have on hand – bean sprouts, snow peas, celery, cilantro, etc.
- Substitute thinly sliced grilled steak or tofu for chicken.
- Save time making this salad and pick up a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. Simply pull the meat into thin pieces and toss with the salad.
- Use white wine vinegar if you don’t have rice vinegar.
- Substitute cashew or almond butter for peanut butter.
- This recipe calls for ¼ teaspoon Sriracha hot sauce; increase it to ½ teaspoon for a bit more of a kick.
- The sesame oil is used to enhance to nutty flavour and aroma. If you don’t have any, skip it – the salad will still taste delicious.
- Make this a healthy chicken recipe to-go by wrapping the salad in a flour tortilla – Thai Peanut Chicken Salad Wrap!