My recipe for tomato soup is definitely a favourite amongst my friends and family. Especially when I serve it with grilled cheese or cheesy garlic bread. It’s very easy to make and only needs a handful of ingredients – most of which you probably already have on hand.
Tomato Soup Tips:
- This soup doesn’t have any cream in it. If you want to add a little richness, you could finish the soup with a splash of cream. Just make sure you add heavy cream (35%/whipping cream) because anything lower will curdle if the soup is too hot.
- You can substitute vegetable stock for chicken stock to make this tomato soup vegetarian and olive oil for butter to make it vegan.
- You can also sweat the onions and celery in bacon fat to add a smoky flavour to this soup.
- This soup freezes well, so make a double batch!
- If you don’t have an immersion blender, allow the soup to slightly cool and purée in batches, using a blender or food processor.
- Get creative garnishing this soup – try croutons, grated cheese, crispy bacon, a swirl of sour cream, fresh basil, green onion, etc.
Here’s a quick video of me from Best Recipes Ever showing how to blend soup using an immersion blender: