The best and safest way to thaw frozen meat is in the refrigerator.
- Thaw frozen meat on a lipped plate (to prevent juices from leaking) in the fridge, and on the lowest shelf.
How long does it take to thaw frozen meat in the fridge?
- Ground meat, stewing beef, steaks and chops = 12 to 24 hrs
- Whole roasts and bone-in cuts = 24 to 48 hrs
The fastest way to thaw frozen meat is under cold running water in the sink.
- Place the frozen meat (packaged) in a slightly larger bowl and please in the sink.
- Fill the bowl with cold water, and then keep the cold water running ever-so-slightly, this will constantly replenish any warm water with cold – keeping the meat safe.
How long does it take to thaw frozen meat under cold running water?
- Ground meat, stewing beef, steaks or chops = 30 mins to 1 hr
- Whole roasts and bone-in cuts = 2 hrs to 3 hrs