Yes, you could buy a box of packaged chicken wings and bake them in the oven. But, chances are they’ve been fried and then frozen – and contain way too many ingredients.
Did you know that it’s just as easy to bake fresh chicken wings and toss them in your favourite sauce as it is to buy and bake pre-made chicken wings?
Once you’ve mastered this basic baked chicken wing recipe, you can have a lot of fun with it. You can marinate the chicken wings first, season them with your favourite seasonings, bread them, or start them in the oven and finish them on the grill – the possibilities are endless!
Tips for Perfect Chicken Wings:
- How to check how cooked your chicken wings are: With a pairing knife, slice the thickest part of the largest chicken wing. Make sure the meat is opaque white all the way to the bone. If the chicken wings are still pink when sliced, place them back in the oven for another 5 minutes, or until the meat is cooked all the way through.
- You don’t have to turn chicken wings half way through, but it does make them golden on both sides.
- It’s easier to flavour your chicken wings in a big bowl, that way you can toss them in the sauce without making a mess.
- Parchment paper keeps the chicken wings from sticking to the baking sheet. If you don’t have parchment paper you can use foil or leave the baking sheet uncovered. Just make sure to spray the foil or pan with non-stick cooking spray so the wings don’t stick.
Try Tossing Wings With:
- Your favourite BBQ sauce
- Tabasco and butter (finger-licking deliciousness)
- Lime juice, lime zest, salt, and pepper
- Frank’s Red Hot Sauce