In 2012, I went to Australia and no matter what luxury hotel we stayed at, there was always Bircher Muesli on the menu.
Bircher Muesli (aka Swiss oatmeal) is an easy breakfast meal made from uncooked rolled oats, fruit, juice, and yogurt. As the oats soak in apple juice, they soften and become slightly sweet. Yogurt and coarsely grated pears add creaminess and texture. The nuts add crunch and the fresh fruit adds a little tartness. It’s an easy oatmeal breakfast recipe that can be made the night before.
The basic ingredients for Bircher Muesli are delicious and their flavours go with practically everything. That means you can really have fun with the recipe by adding your favourite fruit and extras. There are tons of different ways to customize this tasty breakfast.
- Make it seasonal with fresh fruit, like strawberries in the spring, peaches or stewed rhubarb in the summer, or pomegranate in the fall
- Add dried fruit, like dried cranberries, dried apricots, or even dates. They’ll add texture and also be a natural sweetener
- Add spices, like cinnamon and nutmeg
- Add a touch of sweetness with honey or agave nectar
Bircher Muesli Tips:
- Use old-fashioned roll oats. They hold their shape better than quick or instant oats.
- Pear or apple juice can be substituted for apple cider.
- Grated apple can be substituted for grated pear.
- Bircher Muesli will last in the fridge, if covered, for up to 4 days.
- Have fun with this quick and easy breakfast recipe! Top it with any kind of nuts or seeds and what ever fruit is in season.