This is my easy go-to chicken recipe. If I’m asked to make a dish for a cottage weekend or causal dinner with friends, I’ll make these Mexican shredded chicken tacos. The toppings you put out with the tacos is where you can go simple or have a lot of fun.
I like using chicken thighs in this recipe. Why? Because it’s next to impossible to over cook chicken thighs! The chicken may turn stringy if it’s cooked too long, but it won’t dry out, like chicken breasts do. Once the chicken is shredded, any picky eaters in the house will never know it’s dark meat – that’s how I was fooled as a kid!
The chicken thighs are cooked in a simple, 4-ingredient sauce – onion, garlic, diced tomatoes, and chipotle peppers. Chipotle peppers (in adobo sauce) are usually found next to the salsa and re-fried beans at the grocery store. Chipotles are smoked jalapeños that are packed in an adobo sauce. They’ll add a smoky, sweet heat to this chicken taco recipe. You can adjust the heat by adding fewer or more.
My favourite toppings for these chicken tacos are: diced avocado, Salsa Verde, feta cheese, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice. Look below for more fun topping ideas!
My Favourite Chicken Taco Toppings:
- Queso Fresco (fresh Mexican cheese)
- Feta Cheese
- Diced Avocado tossed with lemon juice and salt
- Salsa Verde (green salsa)
- Fresh Tomato Salsa
- Fresh Cilantro
- Shredded Iceberg Lettuce
- Pickled Jalapeños
- Sour Cream
- Grilled Corn
- Sautéed Mushrooms in soy sauce
Chicken Taco Tips:
- You can substitute canned whole tomatoes for the diced tomatoes. Just place the tomatoes in a bowl and squeeze the tomatoes between your fingers to break them up before adding them to the pot.
- If you can’t find chipotles, you can use a ½ a jalapeño, finely chopped.
- If you want to add more heat to the shredded chicken taco mixture after it’s finished cooking, stir in a tablespoon of the adobo sauce (the sauce the chipotle’s come packed in) before serving.
- To stretch the shredded chicken taco mixture, add in some sautéed veggies, like sweet corn, diced celery or zucchini, or thinly sliced bell peppers.
How to Shred Chicken:
- Shredding chicken is easy! Just take 2 forks, one in each hand, and tear the chicken into thin, stringy pieces. You could also use your hands, but when the chicken is hot, forks work better. If you don’t have the patience to shred the chicken, just run your knife over each piece, cutting each chicken thigh into thin pieces of chicken.
How Do You Store Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce?
- Transfer the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce into a small glass container with a tight lid and store it in the fridge. Make sure to push the peppers down so they’re covered in sauce.
- You can also blend the peppers and sauce and keep it in the fridge like ketchup. If it’s blended, you can grab a tablespoon and add it to tasty classics like mac and cheese, scrambled eggs, or burgers. The possibilities are endless! Or, you can also place the blended mixture in a zip lock bag, flatten it and place it in the freezer. Then, when you want a little smoky awesomeness break off a chunk – I do the same with tomato paste.