Sweet potatoes have a deliciously sweet flavour unlike any other. This large edible root vegetable belongs to the Morning Glory family and is high in Vitamins A & C.
You can find two other kinds of sweet potatoes at the grocery store – a white and a dark. The white and purple-fleshed types are not as sweet and actually become dry and crumbly when cooked, similar to a baked potato. Orange-fleshed sweet potatoes are sweeter and moister.
How to Pick Sweet Potatoes:
Choose ones that have firm bright skin, are heavy in size, and free from soft, dark, or mouldy spots.
How to Store Sweet Potatoes:
Store unwrapped in a cool, well-ventilated, dark, and dry place and they will last two to four weeks (don’t store in the refrigerator).
How to Prepare Sweet Potatoes:
Scrub well under cold water. You can cook sweet potatoes either with the skin on or off, or even peel them after they’ve been cooked. If roasting whole, it’s best to leave the skin on. Just make sure you pierce them a few times like you would with a baked potato.
Other cooking methods include baking, grilling, mashing, boiling, deep-frying, sautéing, steaming, and microwaving.
Kary’s Sweet Potato Tips:
- Cook sweet potatoes in their skins to maintain more of their nutritional value.
- To peel a boiled sweet potato, dip it in cold water after it’s boiled. The skin will blister and slip off.
- Sweet potatoes are not the same as yams.
- Use sweet potatoes as you would use a baking potato. Especially the white-fleshed sweet potato, as it is not that sweet.
- The longer and slower a sweet potato cooks, the sweeter it becomes. If you want your sweet potato to be less sweet, cook it quickly by microwaving, boiling, or steaming it.
- Try adding equal parts sweet potato and baking potato when making mashed potatoes (you can boil them together). The sweet potato will add a hint of sweetness and colour that isn’t overpowering. It’s a great way to sneak sweet potato into your diet.
What Do Sweet Potatoes Go Well With?
Sweet Potatoes Go Well With: bourbon, chilli pepper, cilantro, cinnamon, coconut, garlic, ginger, lime, nutmeg, onions, rosemary, rum, salt, thyme, walnuts, oranges, pineapple, apples, pecans, sweet spices, butter, cream, brown sugar, maple sugar and syrup, and rich meats such as pork, duck, and game birds.
Sweet Potato Flavour Combinations:
+ Bacon + Rosemary + Onions
+ Thai Curry Paste + Coconut Milk
+ Feta + Paprika
+ Pecans + Maple Syrup
+ Olive Oil + Salt + Pepper
+ Prosciutto + Kale
Author: Kary Osmond